Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Save Money This Christmas on Traditions and Gifts

One of my most cherished traditions in my family is adding a new ornament to our Christmas tree each year, marking the growth and changes in our kids’ lives. My sister-in-law started this for me when her and my brother started dating. I was 12, now 27, we have our own kids, and we still remember our tradition. This year, in an effort to save money and add a personal touch, I decided to make homemade ornaments. Not only did this turn out to be a fantastic money-saver, but it also became a fun and memorable craft activity for the kids.

I used a simple recipe: 1 cup of baking soda, 1/2 cup of cornstarch, and 3/4 cup of water. The process was not just easy that I was able to make these all with, it was cheap! WIN-WIN! Like most parents, I love documenting their growth with things like this. These ornaments aren’t just decorations; they’re timeless keepsakes that capture a moment in our children’s lives. I have a hand print and they get to decorate in their unique style.

Why Homemade Ornaments are a Win-Win

- Budget-Friendly: Making your own ornaments is a cost-effective alternative to store-bought decorations. These just put a small dent in ingredients in the cabinet. Last year I spent $70 just on ornaments.

- Personalized Touch: Each ornament can be customized, making them unique and special.

- Memory Makers: Handmade ornaments become cherished mementos that celebrate your family’s milestones.

- Perfect DIY Christmas Presents: These ornaments aren’t just for your tree; they make wonderful DIY Christmas presents for family members. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, and godparents will all appreciate the thought and effort that goes into these handmade gifts. And my kids just love saying “look what I made you!”

Homemade Ornament Recipe

  • ½ Cup cornstarch
  • ¾ cup water
  • 1 cup baking soda

1. Mix the Ingredients: Combine the baking soda, cornstarch, and water in a pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring until the mixture thickens into a dough. This doesn’t take long.

2. Cool and Knead: Let the dough cool, then knead it on a cornstarch-dusted surface until smooth.

3. Create the Handprints: Roll out the dough to about ¼ inch thick and help your children press their hands into it to create imprints. Or they can use cookies cutters!

4. Cut and Bake: Cut around the handprints and make a hole for hanging. Bake at a 175 degrees for 90 minutes, flipping every so often. I flipped mine every 20 minutes.

5. Decorate: Once cooled, you can paint and decorate the ornaments as you like.

These DIY handprint ornaments are the perfect blend of budget-friendly Christmas crafting and memory-making. They allow parents to engage in a fun activity with their children while creating something beautiful and meaningful.

I’d love to hear from you! What are your favorite budget-friendly Christmas crafts? Have you tried making your own ornaments? Share your experiences and ideas in the comments below!

Thanks for reading! Follow me for more articles like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Throw Out The Blueberries! 20 Recipe Ideas We Can Use Those Leftover Blueberries in

  Look on my blog for my blueberry muffin recipe! It is to de for! We had our middle son’s birthday party over the weekend! It was a great t...