Friday, December 15, 2023

A Coalminer and Stay-at-home-wife Raised Three World Renowned Brain Surgeons

True Story From the Hills of West Virginia 


A coal miner and his stay-at-home wife raised three boys who all grew up to be brain surgeons! These brothers worked in the same hospital, flew to far-off states because they were so good at their jobs, won awards, and have big, happy families. How did two ordinary parents raise such successful kids? They didn't come from money. They weren't doctors themselves. So how did they do it?


One day, I got to ask their mom this question while she was having coffee with me in my store. I was really curious about how they raised such amazing sons. Her answer was simple: No screens.


"Back when I was raising my kids, cell phones weren't a big thing like they are now," she said. "But my oldest son was having a tough time in school. He felt so bad and kept asking why it was so hard for him when other kids did well. So, I decided to ask one of those kids' moms what her secret was. She simply told me this: no screens!”


That day, this mom decided to change things in her own home. She told her boys and her husband that they would only watch TV or movies on special occasions. "Of course, they didn't like it at first," she said. "But then, my boys knew not to argue because I was not about to budge. If they weren't playing outside, with each other, or helping us, they were reading books. They didn’t have TV, video games weren’t a big thing for that time, and the cell phones we know now didn’t exsist!


And look at them now! My boys grew up to be great brain surgeons, and their momma here is super proud of them. Now they always had a love for the medical field so I do think they would have gone off to study it, but I also fully believe that because of the limited distractions, they were able to go as far as they did.”


 She thinks that reading a lot and not spending too much time on screens really helped them become who they are today. They were allowed to go to the library and pick any books they wanted. Eventually, those books became more educational and less for fun! They chose it and they built a beautiful life! 


I always encourage my kids to read! Reading provides many sources of education no matter the contents. In this day and age it is beyond hard to keep screens out of a child’s life, but limitations should be encouraged! This story is example A-Z! 


What do you think about this? Do you think less screen time and more reading can help kids do better in school and in life? Let me know in the comments! I want to hear opinions about this one!


Thank you for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Throw Out The Blueberries! 20 Recipe Ideas We Can Use Those Leftover Blueberries in

  Look on my blog for my blueberry muffin recipe! It is to de for! We had our middle son’s birthday party over the weekend! It was a great t...